March is a busy enough month in our household what with 3 family birthdays in close succession as well as Easter and Mothering Sunday, so why on earth I decided that what I really needed was a few more craft projects is utterly beyond me. However, that’s exactly what happened so I have been busily crafting away and saving ourselves a bit of money at the same time.
I shortened the curtains from our old house so they would fit our new one better, then made some cushion covers from the leftovers – with a little ‘help’ from the Cub…
The pattern I used was a simple Oxford edged envelope design as explained here: http://www.housetohome.co.uk/articles/how-to-update-an-old-cushion_2_368794.html
I then embellished them with a simple broken line stitch around the edge and an embroidery design in the centre. To cheer the monotony of beige I used 3 bright colours that will feature elsewhere in our sitting room when I’m done: hot pink, turquoise and orange. Psychedelic it may sound, but the effect was discreet and pretty.
Oh, and I’m working on some tie-backs for the curtains. So far I’ve crocheted some turquoise ones and was planning to decorate them with crocheted flowers in different colours, but I’m starting to waver (now I’ve actually made the wretched things) and may go with fabric tie-backs made from leftovers and use the flowers on those. I may have to fake up one of each and decide which I like best when I’m done.
Here's a little picture of my shortened curtains and make-do tie-backs. Please ignore the baby jail and laundry drying over it. It rather spoils the bucolic prettiness of a rocking chair by a window :)